I had a much loved friend coming for dinner on Friday night, one who has been so supportive of Nut & Co, and was very keen to make something special for her using one of our almond milks.
Donna Hay, the Australian cook book guru, is a favourite of mine. She is a great go-to for busy people who want fab flavours in a doable recipe. This recipe comes from her.
Seeing as this is a pudding we used our Creamy Nut variety.
What you need:
- 180G UNSALTED BUTTER, SOFTENED
- 1 CUP (220G) CASTER (SUPERFINE) SUGAR
- 2 TEASPOONS VANILLA EXTRACT
- 1 TABLESPOON FINELY GRATED ORANGE RIND
- 3 EGGS
- 1 CUP (150G) SELF RAISING (SELF-RISING)FLOUR, SIFTED
- ⅔ CUP (80G) ALMOND MEAL (GROUND ALMONDS)
- ½ CUP (125ML) CREAMY NUT ALMOND MILK
SPICED ALMOND MILK
- ½ TEASPOON GROUND CINNAMON
- ½ TEASPOON GROUND GINGER
- ½ TEASPOON VANILLA BEAN PASTE
- 1½ CUPS (375ML) CREAMY NUT ALMOND MILK
How To Make It:
- Line the base of a lightly greased 2-litre-capacity pudding basin with non-stick baking paper and set aside.
- Put the butter, sugar, vanilla and orange rind in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 8–10 minutes or until pale and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour, almond meal and Creamy Nut almond milk and beat on low speed until combined. Gently spoon the mixture into the pudding basin (you don't want to loose the air!), and spread it evenly and seal with a tight-fitting lid.
- Place the basin in a large saucepan over medium heat and pour in enough boiling water to come two-thirds up the side of the basin. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low and cover the saucepan with a tight-fitting lid (you can wrap it in tin foil if you don't have a lid!).
- Cook, adding more boiling water if necessary, for 1 hour 40 minutes or until the pudding is springy to the touch. Carefully remove the pudding from the saucepan and allow to cool in the basin for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.
- While the pudding is steaming, make the spiced almond milk. Place the cinnamon, ginger and vanilla in a jug, pour over the Creamy Nut Almond Milk and mix to combine. Place in a small saucepan over medium heat and cook for 3–4 minutes or until just warm.
- Slice the pudding and pour over the spiced milk to serve. It (should!) serves 6–8.